Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Acceptance Journey: Part 2


About two weeks after my interview, I received a phone call from my District Chairman late one evening.  I was informed that he had loved my interview and had decided that I needed to be boarding an airplane come August. He had done some rearranging and I officially received the status of a 'primary'.


This phone call will forever live in infamy as one of the most exciting events in my life. I managed to keep from squealing in delight, but failed miserably in keeping a mature, composed mannerism. I was scattered brained and breathless from all the excitement. After thanking the chairman, I hung up and bounded upstairs. I told my mom and older brother the news. After congratulatory hugs and exclamations of how amazing the turn of events was, we burst my unsuspecting/sleeping father's room. I received more hugs from my very groggy and slightly bewildered father, before I bounded back out of his room to let him continue his beauty sleep. Such news deserved a celebration with chocolate, so my mom, brother, and I broke out our 'hidden' stash and began our cocoa feast.


After this phone call, the waiting game began. Little did I know that my patience would become less than of a virtue and more of a necessity. I began to check my email every day waiting for news of my country assignment. There was no specific date on which I would receive it, only a vague time frame.

My daily email checks became an hourly occurrence. Soon, hourly examinations left too much time
in between and I began checking my email account every ten to twenty minutes. Sometimes, my obsessive investigations were even more frequent. Hope would flood through me each time I logged into my account to find a new email waiting, but disappointment aways hit hard when I discovered it was not "the" email. I was driving myself insane with the process of checking, rechecking, waiting, and then checking again for "the" email. 

"The" email finally came in December. Because I was visiting one of my best friends at her university, I had decided to put my obsessive email checking habit behind me for the weekend. That night, I went to sleep on the hard dormitory floor without checking my email once. I was terribly proud of over coming my addiction. However, the next morning I had a few spare minutes in which I commandeered my friends computer and gave in to my addiction once again. "The email" from my district chairman containing my country assignment was there waiting for me. I nervously read it, squealed, and then began hopping all around the dorm room. "I'm going to Japan!", I announced to my friends who then joined me in squealing and hopping. What a sight we must have been. To bystanders, we must have seemed like a passel of pigs imitating crickets due to all the hopping and squealing.


I had received my first country assignment choice. My dream was becoming a reality. The hard work my mom and I did filling out the application and preparing for the interview had paid off.  I was could not have been more estatic. Little did I know, more work and preparation was needed before my departure to the Land of the Rising Sun.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Katie,
    My name is Sarah, I happened upon your blog on accident and I was soo excited to here you will be going to Japan next year with Rotary. I'm from New York and am 15 but will also be heading to Japan with Rotary in August! I also have a blog if you are interested it is
    www.sarahsjourneytojapan.blogspot.com I hope to keep in contact!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sarah!!
      It's nice to meet you! I'm always so excited to hear from someone headed to Japan.
      I will certainly check out your blog! Thank you for taking the time to check my blog out. It's nice to know that someone actually knows about it.
      We should definitely keep in touch!
      ~Katie

      Delete
  2. Hey,

    SO I don't have a facebook just yet. I will be getting one tomorrow afternoon, due to my mom wanting me to focus on Regents. I'm soo excited I would LOVE to join the group it sounds amazing! Thank you for letting me know! ARe you studying the language? If so how has it been going! I'm soo excited to meet someone else!

    Talk to you soon,
    Sarah
    Ps. my email is cookjapan97@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete